Antibiotic Awareness Week in Canada : NOVember 12-18, 2018
NCCID has participated in Antibiotic Awareness Week in Canada since 2010. Our Centre works to raise awareness about antimicrobial resistance (AMR), antimicrobial use (AMU) and antimicrobial-resistant organisms (ARO). Together with our partners, we promote the prudent use of antibiotics to fight the threat of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
You might be interested in:
Putting the Pieces Together: A National Action Plan on Antimicrobial Stewardship
Antibiotic Resistance: VIDEO
[Antibiotic use in livestock] L’utilisation d’antibiotiques en médecine vétérinaire: VIDEO in French
Glossary of Terms: Antimicrobial Resistance
A Provincial Antimicrobial Stewardship Program: Successes and Challenges in Alberta
AntibioticAwareness.ca focuses on the relationship between doctors and patients. We offer practical tools and information to practitioners, including our prescription pads, as well as webinars presenting the latest information on antimicrobial resistance and antimicrobial stewardship program development.
We link to materials produced by other organizations, including the Public Health Agency of Canada, to promote antibiotics awareness and responsible use. Through ongoing knowledge translation initiatives, NCCID aims to facilitate appropriate stewardship and surveillance.
For more information, or to offer feedback, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources & links to other campaigns
- Using Antibiotics Wisely / Choosing Wisely Canada
- The Government of Canada’s response to antimicrobial resistance / Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
- Canadian Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance System 2017 Report – Executive Summary / PHAC
- Summary Report on Antimicrobial Resistant Organism (ARO) Surveillance Data from January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2016 / PHAC
- Antibiotic resistance fact sheet / World Health Organization (WHO)
- I Use Antibiotics Responsibly Pledge / WHO
- ‘Antibiotics: Handle with care’ campaign video / WHO
- Take the Antibiotic Wise Pledge! / Antibioticwise.ca
- Antibiotic Awareness Week 2017 Campaign / AMMI Canada
- U.S. Antibiotic Awareness Week / Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Antibiotic Guardian / Public Health England
- European Antibiotic Awareness Day : a European Initiative / ECDC
- World Antibiotic Awareness Week / WHO
- Antibiotic Awareness Week / Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care
- Educational Resources : APUA’s Antibiotic Stewardship Solutions / Alliance for the Prudent Use of Antibiotics (APUA) / AMMI Canada
- Antimicrobial Stewardship / AMMI Canada
Guidelines & Recommendations
- The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) offers a number of fact sheets from on key antimicrobial resistance issues, including its causes, impact, which bacteria and illness are antibiotic-resistant, antimicrobial resistance and animal surveillance, policy development and outreach activities.
- Prevention of antibiotic resistance / PHAC
- Antibiotic resistance awareness materials / PHAC
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada: antimicrobial resistance / PHAC
- Antibiotic resistance and animals / PHAC
- The Canadian Paediatric Society also provides information on antibiotic use in children
- Bugs and Drugs book provides comprehensive recommendations for antibiotic use in communities and hospitals
- The Canadian Paediatric Society provides position statements and notes on how to manage infectious diseases in your patients
- Clinical Practice Guidelines from the College of Family Physicians of Canada
- Clinical Practice Guidelines / Do Bugs Need Drugs
- Evidence-based guidelines from Infection Prevention and Control Canada (IPAC)